The last thing you want to do on your honeymoon is stress about your curls. Your honeymoon is a time to have fun with your new husband. So, caring for your curly hair before the wedding will leave you ample time to focus on your husband while honeymooning.
Let’s look at what you should do to maintain beautiful locks before you jet off on your honeymoon.
Ditch the heating appliances
For healthy, bouncy curls, don’t use heating appliances on your hair. Ditch curling tongs or straighteners. You don’t need to put excessive heat on your hair. Imagine your hair sizzling in a frying pan, that’s what heat does. It is damaging and will leave your hair dry, dull and brittle. If you’ve been using heat on your hair, visit your hairdresser for a trim to get rid of split ends.
It’s not necessary to wash your hair daily. Shampoo removes the natural oil and you could end up with a big dry, frizzy ball. Your curly hair requires much more moisture than straight hair. Therefore, shampoo two to three times a week and co-wash (washing using conditioner alone) in between washes. Also, use a shampoo and conditioner formulated for curly hair. And use a leave-in conditioner for added moisture and curl definition. Finally, air dry your hair.
Apply conditioner an inch from your roots and work your way down to the ends of your hair. Don’t use too much or you’ll end up with greasy hair. Leave the conditioner in for five minutes. Use your fingers to get the knots out while waiting for the conditioner to work. Then, gently comb from the ends to the roots to untangle, using a wide tooth comb. Consider using a good quality deep conditioner weekly to keep your hair hydrated.
After sticking to a good hair care routine, your hair should be in tip-top condition ready for your honeymoon.Time for honeymoon curls
- Sleep in a silk or satin wrap or scarf to prevent breakage and keep your locks moisturised. This is not the most romantic thing to do, but it’s great for your hair. Or, pack a couple of silk pillowcases to sleep on instead.
- Instead of brushing, use a wide tooth or an Afro comb for styling to tame tangles. This will make your hair more manageable.
- To reactivate curls between washes, mist your hair with water from a spray bottle. Then scrunch your hair with your hands.
- Wear a gorgeous sun hat to protect your hair from the heat of the sun. Remember, too much heat is damaging to your hair. Also, a lovely sun hat teamed up with the right outfit will make you look stunning.
- If you’ve got time for a twist out, and want to freshen it up, use your normal moisturising cream. Better still, olive oil will do a good job of putting back the moisture in your curls. And add shine.
Pack only what you need to keep your curls looking fresh and gorgeous for your honeymoon. Preparation beforehand is the key. You want all the time in the world to devote to your new husband, not having nerve-racking sessions about taming your curls.
Finally, enjoy your honeymoon and make the most of it!